Go to YACHT CLUB | Dress Code | Tipping in Restaurant | Acronym Guide | Listing | Grocery Stores | Hardware Stores | Shipping and receiving stuff | Medical Services | Dinghy Landings | Moorings | Local transportation | Radio communications
Historical Note: Chris and Nancy of the yacht Amulet first prepared the Yachtie’s Yellow Pages in 2007. We thank them, and the Marshall Islands Visitor’s Authority (MIVA) for reproducing them and helping us with items for the Yachties Welcome Packets.
If you have any questions, ask on the morning Majuro Cruiser’s Net VHF 71 at 0730.
The Marshall Islands Journal is a good source of local current events and information.
DRESS: Dress in the Marshall Islands is conservative; knee-length shorts or skirts, sleeveless tops OK. Spaghetti-strap or strapless tops are frowned upon. The men prefer long pants, but you may wear shorts.
BOG Bank of Guam
BOMI Bank of the Marshall Islands
MIR Marshall Islands Resort Hotel (series of 3-story white buildings with turquoise roofs on south side of harbor), 625-2525
RRE Robert Reimers Enterprises Hotel (resort at head of north mooring field; hotel desk on 2nd floor), VHF 78 or 625-6474.
NTA National Telecommunications Authority (next to the big satellite dishes)
MEC Marshalls Energy Company (less than ½ mile north of NTA) (propane)
DAR (formerly Dominick Auto Rental – and the initials just “stuck”)…the Coffee Corner on the back road, the beauty salon, and the store – now called Carrie & Cailyn’s).
DUD Darita-Uliga-Delap (islands that make up Majuro town)
MBYC Mieco Beach Yacht Club (club room in MIR bar)
MIVA Marshall Islands Visitors Authority (next door to MEC)
PII Pacific International, Inc (next to Delap Dock), 625-3122/3560/5316 (machinists)
RMI Republic of the Marshall Islands
NOTE: Businesses and services are listed alphabetically by TYPE. These businesses are those normally used and recommended by the cruisers. It is not all-inclusive. There may be more services and stores available.
- ATMs: Two on island: downstairs in front of RRE Hotel in Uliga; and at Bank of Guam in Delap (next to K&K Island Pride Grocery Store).
- AUTO SUPPLIES
- Ace Hardware, Do it Best Hardware, and Tru Value Hardware, MJCC, EZ Price.
- Best selection of oil and fuel filters seems to be at PII. Do It Best has good selection of oil and fuel filters also.
- BAKERIES: Bread at bakeries tends to be sweet.
- Baked goods sections at Payless, K&K and Formosa.
- Wellness Center (near the hospital) has fresh whole wheat bread daily – vegan kitchen!
- Sandy’s Bakery (near NTA) and Marilyn’s Bakery (near G&L) are new locally-owned bakeries making local pastries.
- BATTERIES: Limited or no selection in deep-cycle batteries.
- Do It Best is distributor for Exide – about $200 for each 12V car battery.
- Ace Hardware, EZ Price, and Island Eco carry batteries – not US standard.
- BEER and Alcohol: Payless, Cost Price, K&K Island Pride, Formosa, Flame Tree, Pacific Pure Water (beer) & Shoreline (beer).
NOTE: No alcohol sold on Sundays except in the restaurants. It is unlawful for the Marshallese to have or consume alcoholic beverages on the outer islands (except for Likiep), but not in Majuro. In the outer atolls, keep all alcohol confined to your boat and do not share with the locals.
- BOAT SUPPLIES: Limited selections at Ace Hardware, Do It Best Hardware, and EZ Price.
- BOOK EXCHANGE: We exchange books on an informal basis, or bring your books on Tuesday nights at Yachties Night Out.
- Do It Best Hardware (limited selection of canvas).
- Sailrite is familiar with Majuro and mails directly here.
- CLEARING IN: See the Entering RMI page on this site.
- CLEARING OUT: Go to Ports Authority first to pay $20 harbor fee for outward clearance. Present PA receipt at Customs and get passports stamped at Immigration. (See Government Offices for locations.)
- COPY SERVICES
- a) Standard size: Copymasters or Office Mart.
- b) Chart size: Copymasters, TSL Office Solutions, EPA office or PII.
- COMPUTER HELP: Majuro Computer Services (bright green building just past NTA satellites) (5% discount for MBYC members).
- COMPUTER SALES/SUPPLIES
- a) Majuro Computer Services (see item above)
- b) TSL Enterprises – 3rd floor, green 5-story building.
- c) EZ Price – See MIVA map. Blank CDs & DVDs only sold singly.
- d) Office Mart – ¼ mile south of College of Marshall Islands.
- e) Copymasters – Ground floor, green 5-story building.
- DINGHY LANDINGS
- Always use a long painter to allow room for other dinghies. DO NOT raise outboards. Remember: all land in the RMI is privately owned.
- Shoreline/RRE – At head of north mooring field. Sustained significant damage in recent tropical storm. There is a floating dock, but it is for loading and offloading only. DO NOT LOCK! Security patrolled.
- Uliga Dock – Commercial dock between north & south mooring fields. Floating dock on backside. Main gate closes at 5 pm but side door remains open. Security guard at gate. Recommended for use in westerlies.
- G&L Apartments – By permission of the owner only! Within Uliga Dock basin. Tie up at concrete steps on landside. Danger! – Rebar and concrete footings exposed at low tides.
- Matt Holly’s – At head of south mooring field, by pair of rusty ships. Tie up to rusty barge alongside.Danger! – Thinning ladder rungs and holes and thinning metal in barge deck.
- Do NOT use the pontoon lagoon side of EZ Price.
- K&K Island Groceries – lagoon side: Sand beach across street. Children may play in dinghies.
- MIR – Tie up at concrete steps. Security patrolled.
- DIVE TANK REFILLS: BAKO Divers – $5 per tank, call Brian on 455-1175.
- DVD RENTALS AND SALES
- Entertainment Center – Located just south of NTA. DVDs at $2.50/night or 3/$5. If you pick up on Saturday, you return on Monday for 2 nights viewing. Open noon-2300 hrs. M-Sat., 1500-2200 hrs. Sun.NOTE: Most if not all of their DVDs are region free.
- EZ Price: $2.50 to buy.
- Majuro Computer Services: $3.50 to buy – limited selection – not pirated.
- FABRIC (Dress fabrics only)
- Formosa (Delap) – Located next to Flame Tree. Best selection.
- DAR Services (Carrie & Cailyn’s)– Located on street behind Formosa (Uliga).
- Momotaro Store – Located midway between RRE and Payless.
- FAX SERVICES
- NTA – Cheapest in Majuro but outgoing only. Cost based on phone rates; assume about 1 minute/page (e.g. $1.50/minute to U.S., so about $1.50/page)
- RRE – Send & receive capability; $5 first page, $1.50 each additional page.
- MIR – Send & receive capability but expensive.
- S. Embassy – American citizens can receive faxes by arrangement.
- FISHING SUPPLIES: Ace Hardware, Do It Best Hardware, MJCC Hardware, Formosa Hardware, Tru Value Hardware.
- FUEL – DIESEL AND GASOLINE
- Shoreline (not currently available due to recent storm damage)
- MEC – About 15-30% savings over Shoreline but 55 gallon minimum. See pg. 9 of Yachtie’s Yellow Pages for instructions for filling by jugs.
- Bunkering is available at Delap Dock with less than a couple dollars bunker fee. Inquire at MEC office and Ports Authority.
- Delap Dock not very small-boat friendly; check out beforehand. If you need more info, contact Cary on the yacht Seal.
- FUEL – OTHER
- Propane: MEC sells propane at their tank farm in Delap. Pay ahead at MEC offices; take receipt to MEC tank farm.
- Kerosene: At gas station across from Lil’ Party Favors – near BOMI.
- Denatured Alcohol: Ace Hardware, Do It Best, Tru Value – sold in 1-gallon cans.
- GARBAGE: Yachts paying RRE for moorings may use the dumpsters near Shoreline Laundromat for free. People on Matt Holly’s moorings can bring their trash there. If you are not on an RRE mooring and you bring your trash in to shoreline for convenience, please make arrangements with RRE to pay a $4/month trash fee.
- GOVERNMENT OFFICES
- Customs –Located in the Ministry of Finance building in Uliga – near Cost Price.
- Immigration – Located on 5th floor, green 5-story Mako building near MIR.
- Ports Authority – Located at Delap Dock; 625-6170/6179.
- GROCERY STORES
- Payless Supermarket – in Uliga across from EZ Price. Walking distance! See MIVA map. Open 0800-2100 (or until no more customers), 7 days. Big grocery store with widest selection of foods and fresh vegetables. Watch for cucarachas in fresh foods area. Watch prices rung up at register as not always accurate. Liquor section. Separate section for discounted, out-of-date foods; watch price at register. 5% discount with Senior Citizen card (60 yrs & over).
- K&K Island Pride Supermarket – in Delap – just past capitol building. See MIVA map. Open 0800-2100 (or until no more customers), 7 days. Big grocery store with widest selection of foods and fresh vegetables. Watch for cucarachas in fresh foods area. Watch prices rung up at register as not always accurate. Liquor Separate section for discounted, out-of-date foods; watch price at register. 5% discount with Senior Citizen card (60 yrs. & over.
- Formosa (Uliga store) – See MIVA map. Open 0800-2100 hrs, 7 days. Watch for cucarachas in fresh foods area. Liquor department. Separate section for discounted, out-of-date foods. 6% discount with VIP card (50 yrs & older.
- Division 7-12 –Hit or miss selection of foods.
- Cost Price – Next door to Marilyn’s Bakery. A lot of Oriental products.
- EZ Price Mart– in Uliga, across from Payless Supermarket. See MIVA map. Small selection, some institution-sized. Good supply or organic and health food. 5% discount on non-sale items with MBYC card.
- Crazy Price – Located across from Flame Tree. Some Fijian and Indian food products.
- Majuro Market Place – Located at foot of RRE parking lot. Sometimes they have locally grown veggies & bananas. Cheap pre-made “plate lunch” – chicken and rice.
- Bulk: Pacific Basic Payless Wholesale (door off the side of main entrance to supermarket); will deliver to the dock; K&K Island Food Wholesale (located next door to Flame Tree) case lots; will deliver to the dock. Cash and carry. Open to public.
- HAPPY HOUR at Shoreline, Tide Table, MIR, and Flame Tree, Jay’s Restaurant.
- HARDWARE STORES
- Ace Hardware – Ground floor of RRE. Well-stocked and largest selection. Not air-conditioned so not conducive to browsing and things may be rusty. Friendly and helpful staff. Lumber also.
- Do it Best – Near MIR. Air-conditioned, prices marked are not always current. Must seek out help if needed. Lumber also.
- Tru Value Hardware – down the road from MIR. Air-conditioned. Must seek out help if needed. Lumber also.
- See hardware sections in EZ Price, Formosa (Uliga store), Division 7-12 and MJCC.
- HF RADIO: Island Radio at Jeirok, Laura 528-2709.
- ICE: Cubes only, no block ice available. Easiest location at Shoreline. Available in bags at Payless and K&K.
- RRE, NTA, and MIR all have computers for you to get online. The Alele Public Library (next to the courthouse) also has a computer lab that you can use for FREE. Open 9 am to 5 pm – kinda, depending on staffing.
- Wi-Fi is available using prepaid NTA cards (you can buy them at the front desk at RRE and at NTA). You can also buy Internet time using PayPal or a credit card – you will be prompted by NTA when you try to log in.
- For $15 a month, NTA will give you Internet access from any of their hot spots using your smart phone. This is the cheapest deal. For $35 per month, you can enroll your laptop. NOTE: They are not fond of ‘tethering’.
- For the fastest download, go to NTA’s outdoor HutSpot (in from of NTA).
- Closest location now is RRE’s new Laundromat on the main road – but it is not the cheapest: Self service at $2.50 wash and $3.00 dry, and $3 per load for the women who work their to do your laundry for you.
- MGAS (on the back road – look for the blue roof) is cheaper – $1.50 to wash; $2.00 to dry; and $1 or $2 per load for the women to do it for you.
- Big frontloaders at Laundromat near Medi-Source Pharmacy on left side of road to hospital – good for washing blanket, sheets and multiple loads $3.00 per load.
- Check other laudromats around town: across from Convention Center (open 24 hours).
- LIBRARY: The Alele Museum & Public Library is in town near the court house. Free library card. Renovated two years ago. Library is upstairs. You can also access the library at the College of the Marshall Islands (CMI)
- MACHINE SHOPS: Machine Shop at Pacific International, Inc. (PII)
- MEDICAL SERVICES
- At Majuro Hospital, see MIVA map. Expect to wait. Cost of a visit including prescription $20.
- Alex Pinano at Majuro Clinic, opposite MIVA. Cost of a visit including prescription $25.
- At Majuro Hospital. Cost of a visit including prescription $20 – with a fee schedule posted for other services.
- Ricardo – 625-8935. Upstairs in post office building.
NOTE: Many moorings end in a loop for you to secure your lines. Please tie to the loops to prevent chafe to the mooring loop (and your lines). If you feel you must pass through the loop with your lines be sure to begin and end each line at the same point on your boat. Do not start a line on one side, pass through the mooring loop and end on the other side because as your boat swings, the line will slide back and forth through the loop and chafe it and your line.
- RRE (north field) – $3/day, but cheaper if you book for a few months. It is recommended you dive on your mooring here to inspect.
- Matt Holly (south field) – $1.50-$2/day, 30 days up front. See Matt Holly behind EZ Price, 455-5567. It is recommended you dive on your mooring here to inspect.
- Cary Evarts has a small number of moorings for $2 a day. Contact him on VHF Ch 71. It is recommended you dive on your mooring here to inspect.
- Enemanet Island and Eneko Island: These moorings were installed by and belong to the Mieco Beach Yacht Club. Their use is free to MBYC members; others pay $1 per day.
(See Mooring Project page on www.sailingmarshallislands.com (the MBYC website) for more info.)
- Bank of Marshall Islands (BOMI) – Convenient & cheap ($5).
- Majuro Court House – Convenient & cheap ($5).
- Various embassies/consulates – US Embassy – $50 per document. See Majuro phone book for listings.
- OIL & BATTERY DISPOSAL
- For oil: At Toyota Repairs, located behind Pacific Pure Water. From Shoreline dinghy landing walk to RRE Laundromat and continue down dirt road to the end at repair garage. Ask any of the workers and they’ll direct you to the used oil drums. Empty from your own container or leave disposables. No charge.
- For batteries: An NTA employee, Kinja, comes up on Channel 68. If you have old batteries, he will make use of them. Go to NTA or talk to Karen on VHF 68.
- Yamaha – MJCC Yamaha, located just north of NTA, 0830-1800 M-F. 625-3500/3066. If locked go next door to MJCC general store.
- Honda – H. Doulatram, 625-5450, 455-5450.
- Suzuki – Payless Motors, 625-3210.
- General Outboard Repairs: At Toyota Repairs, ask for Vincent or Anthony.
- OUTER ISLAND ENTRY PERMITS
- Entry Permits required for each atoll. (Fees vary from atoll to atoll – from free to $250.)
- Obtain forms at the Ministry of Internal Affairs (tan building on the lagoon side next to Mobil Oil tank farm), 2nd Floor: 625-8240. Request a copy of the Lagoon Entry Fees when you pick up permit forms.When you visit the atoll, present your permit and pay the fee to the acting mayor (if it was not collected by the mayor on Majuro).
- You must pay the fee again if revisiting the atoll. Recommend you make copies of your approved permits and have the acting mayor sign it when paying the fee.
- A permit is not required for Kwajalein, but it is a US military base. You must have a sponsor to visit. Civilian employment requires 2-year contract and you cannot live on the boat while working there.
- For Bikini and Rongelap, obtain approved Entry Permits at the Ministry, and then take them for secondary approval to their respective City Halls (between RRE and G&L).
- Medi-Source – on the left side on the road in toward the hospital.
- Majuro Hospital for filling prescriptions. (Prescriptions are usually filled free after consultation with hospital doctor, which costs $20.00 after registration.)
- Alex Pinano – Has some prescription medications – watch dates; office visit: $25.00
- Payless, K&K, EZ Price, and Formosa (Uliga) carry over-the-counter drugs, and health and first aid supplies.
- PHONES & SERVICE:
- For local calls:
- Ask the hotel desk staff at RRE : they’ll hand you a portable phone (calling cell phones has a small fee);
- Formosa (Uliga) – 2 phones on 2nd counter to the right ($0.25);
- For local calls:
- NTA – Phone on wall in lobby, to the left (free).
- For long distance:
- You can use RRE, but it’s expensive.
- NTA – 0700-2400 hrs, 7 days, $1.50/min. to U.S. Take a number & wait in line, then give your name and number to the women behind the glass partition and she will assign you a booth and arrange for Overseas Operator. No free use of 1-800 numbers or their ilk. Pre-paid phone cards offer cheaper rates as low as $1.00/min off-peak but you need a local phone.
- Cell Phones: Purchase SIM card at NTA $15. Phone cards available throughout DUD. New cell phones available at NTA and other stores. Local calls $0.10/min. New system: if you have a simcard, you will receive a message from NTA assigning you a 457- number. If you are staying a short time (less than a month), this may be a better deal: you pay $.50 per day and $.10 per minute, so all you have to do is buy a $10 cell card and renew (you can add only $2 if you need an extra two or three days and a few calls.)
- Skype is available using wireless and your own computer.
- POST OFFICE
- Main P.O. located across street from RRE, handles all General Delivery; small satellite P.O. next to K&K. Hours: M-F 0900-1200, 12:00 – 16:00. Sat 1300-1600. Use the following address when having mail sent to you at the RMI Post Office: SV your boat name, Yacht in Transit, Majuro, MH 96960
NOTE: RMI uses the US Postal System (USPS). Therefore, domestic First Class, Priority and Express Mail services can be used when mailing from RMI or having mail sent from the USA. COD is not available. Currently, 10-14days appears to be the norm for Priority Mail delivery from the USA. Generally, no customs duty experienced with “Yacht in Transit” designation but the letter of the law probably applies only to boat replacement parts. If goods are shipped using the cheapest rate they will come by ship and will take 6-8 weeks.
- RADIO COMMUNICATIONS:
- VHF channel 71 for contact, then switch to ch.68, 74 or 77 to talk.
- Majuro Cruiser’s Net at 0730 hrs on ch.71, Monday through Saturday 0730.
- HF ‘Yokwe’ net on 6.224 at 0745 local time
- REFRIGERATION: Several people that do repairs; none especially recommended.
- DHL – Located in PII office, 625-6345.
- Triple B Forwarders – They handle freight out of Los Angeles and Honolulu. Micro-Pak special: $50 for 5 cu. ft. & 80 lbs. or less by air from Honolulu to Majuro (+$17 minimum handling to PII). Use USPS domestic mail to get to Honolulu. For information: email firstname.lastname@example.org or AAlt@tripleb.com.
- Federal Express (FED EX) – Located in Central Maritime Agency, across RRE parking lot. Currently receive only, no outgoing. NOTE: No customs duty for “Yacht in Transit” designation but this really should apply to only boat replacement parts.
- SOLAR PANELS: EZ Price, Do It Best
- Shared Taxi: Anywhere in DUD area, 75 cents to $1. Outside DUD, fare by negotiation; e.g. $2 per person to US Embassy.
- RRE airport shuttle $10. Book with reception in advance.
- Mini-bus to Laura: $3.00 per person, leaves RRE parking lot every 20 min.
- VISITORS AUTHORITY (MIVA): near MEC on ocean side in Delap. Information, postcards, and maps. Call Emelyn Simon on 625-8771.
- Shoreline – $0.40/gallon, potable quality questionable.
- Pacific Pure Water – RO water, potable quality. $1/gallon in either a 5 gallon carboy ($10 to buy container; non-refundable) or will fill your own jugs, 625-3140. – before 5 pm
- EZ Price Mart – dispenser at the front of the store
- Do It Best – dispenser at the front of the store – before 5 pm
- Momotaro Store (orange store ocean side in Delap)
- BAKO Divers – Call Brian on 625-1175, can do in-situ work.
- PII – 625-3122
- YACHT CLUB – MIECO BEACH YACHT CLUB (MBYC)
- Membership at $20 (single) or $30(family).
- Discounts at DAR Beauty Salon and Store (20%); EZ Price (-5%), Monica’s Restaurant (-5% food only), MIR Restaurant (-10%), Do It Best (-10%), Majuro Computer Services (-5%) with membership card.
- Monthly boat races during winter season. Sells caps, shirts, burgees and courtesy flags.
- Free moorings at Enemanet Island and Eneko Island.
- YACHT HAULING: At PII just past the bridge. Call Kenneth Kramer at PII.
- YACHTIES NIGHT OUT: Dinner every Tuesday at 1800 hrs at one of 4 restaurants: Tide Table at RRE, Jitak Bar on lagoon road, opposite MEC (and the cemetary), and Marshall Islands Club (MIC) on the ocean side back road – all you can eat pizza); and MIR .